Sunday, July 15, 2007

4 Days On A Bus

I boarded the bus in Toronto. 4 days later (3d, 19h actually = 91 hours), I'm in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory.

Notes on Canada:
  1. Ontario is big. Huge actually. In fact, I went to sleep and woke up in Ontario. Twice. Okay, I went to sleep in Ontario twice, and only woke up once, but just barely. The play by play of northern Ontario goes something like this: "Rocks and trees and trees and trees and rocks and trees and *gasp* a lake! and trees and..." (continue, for 20 hours)
  2. The prairies are flat. Really flat. Like, "damn, this shit is flat" type of flat. However, seeing the sunset over the prairies was really awe-inspiring, and it left me feeling emotional. Not that I'm emotional. Hell no, I'm a man. More power. Must've been the lack of sleep. Ya, that's it.
  3. Saskatchewan and Manitoba are boring ass boring. Like, "damn, this shit is boring" type of boring. No no, I'm sure they're lovely. Just not much happening, a calm, peaceful, easy feeling.
  4. Northern BC and the Yukon are stunning. Mountains, lakes, valleys, wildlife... an unmatched display of natural wonders.

Some hints, if you ever find yourself spending 4 days on a bus:
  1. Take lots of food . Nuts and berries, bread, peanut butter & jam, fruits, apple sauce, puddings. I wouldn't suggest carrots, mine decomposed.
  2. Take a pillow, or a makeshift pillow -- I didn't.
  3. Don't worry about changing (maybe your gitch). Nobody does it.
  4. Do your neighbours a favour: take deodorant and a toothbrush. Then again, sleeping with an empty seat beside you is more comfortable.
  5. Talk to people. You'll wig out if you don't.
  6. Take books. The 's' is important, depending on your personal preferences.
  7. Take a journal or a notepad.
  8. Stretch, walk, run, brench press your neighbour, whatever... do something, anything, at every rest opportunity. Vericose veins, as much as I loved my grandparents, are not sexy.
  9. Never turn your back on a 3 year old. You might get soaked with a hose.
  10. In relation to #9, take an extra shirt and pants.


Overall assessment: 5/5

  • met some great people
  • got/gave some awesome massages
  • listened to some good music
  • read an interesting book on mythology
  • saw amazing landsapes and wildlife (some caribou, a moose, a black bear, a herd of bison, a herd of mountain sheep, some deer)
  • watched a breathtaking lightning show
  • spent quality time with other generations (75+, and a 3 year old)
  • put on a concert (there was a guitar, and a captive audience... what else did they have to do?)
  • etc
  • arrived at my destination

I'd like to share one final observation. Along the way, there were many opportunities to get upset and/or frustrated. Catching the wrong bus and having the wrong tickets until Winnipeg, many delays due to weather and mechanical problems, crying babies, lack of sleep, etc. I saw a number of people reacting to these things, and being miserable. I felt badly for these people: reacting didn't change the situation, and they just made themselves miserable. I would suggest that when you find yourself in this situation, just accept whatever is happening and be aware that it's going to pass, and deal with it, smilingly.

4 days on a bus. Wicked.

4 comments:

Grad Student H said...

Awesome! I did a similar trip years ago on my way back from tree planting. It was Victoria BC --> North Bay, ON. I did, however, have a stopover in Saskatoon (world beer festival, now THAT is what I call wicked). I can't imagine doing the whole thing in one shot, that recirculated air really gets to me. Also, I can't agree more with your first piece of advice for future marathon bus riders: bring tonnes of food. There is nothing so awful as being forced to eat greyhound station fare for days on end. Egad! But Jon, I have one request for a future post: how on earth did you find out about the farm you're WWOOFing on? Dear me, it sounds wonderful.
Love, Heather (The H)

Anonymous said...

I think the only way I could do a 4 day bus trip would be if you were on it.

I'm sure you kept everyone well entertained.

-A said...

Hey Buddy,

That was a beautiful read.....4 days on a bus....4 days well spent :)

A

Sun-jay said...

four days is a marathon of sitting in a box hurtling through space. i did TO. to van and golden b.c. to TO. in one summer. the ride back was subjectively shorter because i seemed better geared to access some sort of half asleep trance that removed alot of my awareness of time. my favorite time hitching was rideing in a novel customised pickup that had been artfully chainsawed to have no roof and the ride was at night stars were bright wind was sweet tasting. the wind was to loud to talk so all one could do was lie back and fly.