Sunday, July 15, 2007

WWOOFing around Whitehorse

WWOOF = Willing Workers on Organic Farms
WWOOFer = one who WWOOFs.
WWOOFing = Being a WOOFer.


I'm currently WWOOFing about 40 km outside Whitehorse, on a small organic farm owned and operated by a really nice ~40 year old couple. They've opened their home to me for as long as I'm in the Whitehorse area. They have some livestock (6 pigs, 200 meat chickens, 60 laying hens and a rooster, and about 30 turkeys) which I'm helping to tend to, and a large vegetable garden which I'm helping weed and most likely harvest at market time. The farm is beautiful; the backyard is a mountain which I can climb to watch the sunset over the surrounding mountains. There's a lake at the top of the mountain, but I have yet to climb to the very top.



It's timeless here at this time of year. The sun is setting around 11:30 pm, but it depends on where you are in relation to the mountains. The days are so long, I absolutely love it. It's 1:00 AM before you even realize it, becuase it's still not quite dark.


~~ First Impressions ~~

When I got off the bus in Whitehorse, my friend Katherine surprised me and was there waiting for me at 5:00 AM! Tired, we walked along the Yukon river to Robert Service Campground where we pitched a tent and slept for the majority of the day. We headed back into town around 6, to find that the bus station, where I had left my bags in a locker so that I didn't have to carry them on the hike to the campground, was closed. Whoops. Ah well, off to the market to meet my hosts, and then to the Salvation Army to get some farm clothes. That night I came back here, to the farm, got the tour, and got to know my hosts a little. They're really wonderful people, I feel fortunate that this is all working out so well. I enjoy the company, and I'm enjoying the physical nature of the farm life. Not to mention how good and real the food tastes! Eat local!

No comments: