Thursday, August 9, 2007

Going to Guggieville, and the Dawson City Music Festival

Scroll down through the recent posts, I made another post that I thought I'd posted before and it's now out of order ... (look for the pic of the pig) ...


















So as you know I was working on a farm. I left there, a few thursdays ago, to hitchhike with my girlfriend to Dawson city for their music festival, where we were volunteering. It's 575 km or so to Dawson along the Klondike highway. We sat on the highway in the sun for about an hour until a hotdog vendor (among about 100 other trades) came shimmying to a stop in an old Jeep, dragging a trailer full of assorted meats. For the next 6 hours he educated us about local geography and culture, and filled our ride with terrific stories of adventure and bush living. Quite a dude. Then we were in Guggieville (goo-gee-ville), where we camped during the festival, about 30 minutes outside of Dawson City on foot.

We volunteered, security detail. I did my best Jacky Chan impression while IDing all of the ladies that looked well over 30, to give them a morale boost, they loved it. K really wanted to ID David Suzuki as he walked through, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. The man just wanted his beer.

While at the festival, I ran into a few people from my past. The very first person that walked through the security gates on my first shift was a guy I went to highschool with. Small world. He and his band were playing at the festival. Along with him, there was another girl that I went to uni with, who I'd planned to meet up with after she told me she'd be there! So we drank and danced and were marry, and shared a good slice of life.

The festival itself was amazing. So many talented acts. Good atmosphere. The highlights for me were the Great Lake Swimmers, Amy Millan (Stars), the Tuvan Throat Singers, and Old Man Leudecke. You should look up the throat singers, they evoked so much emotion that a number of people in the crowd were crying and laughing. At least it seemed that way through my blurry eyes. Not that I'd cry, heck no, I'm a man, more power *grunt*.





Dawson City itself is a step back in time. It's a small town, maybe 3000 full time residents. But with a town that far north, I'm sure the population fluxtuates quite drastically during the summer and winter months. When you are in the downtown core, it would be pretty easy to convince yourself that you actually stepped out of a time warp and arrived back in the days of the old Wild West. The buildings, for the most part, have been preserved immaculately, to reflect the time of roar, at the turn of the century when all of the people flooded in for the great gold rush.


Okay, I'm being pressed to leave. I am currently in southern BC, visiting with family. There are more adventures to tell you about that have come to pass, but I've been too busy having them to write them all down. So soon, between beers on the dock and the mental preperation for my imminent departure on the bike, I will find some time to catch up my blogging. Hope you're all smiling, I'll have a waterski for ya.

No comments: