Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Kooteney's are bear/bare country

I'm taking a day off after 4 days of cycling, giving the body a chance to recouperate and enjoying a day in Fernie. I should be in Alberta tomorrow.


Yep, BC sure is Bear Country, as they say. The other day a black bear ran across the highway about 40m in front of me. Then when it's cub didn't make it across, it dodged some traffic to go back. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to take a picture, I was too busy not wetting myself. I was pretty tired at that point, but I decided to bike another 30 km, for no particular reason.




And yes, BC sure is Bare Country, as I say. I hung out in Nelson (see picture below) for a day with a lovely girly I met on the bus to Whitehorse (see picture above). What a great town. Although she was busy, I met one of her friends and she took me to the two places that I needed to go in Nelson - the Gyro Park (a lookout of Nelson) and Red Sands Beach, the nude beach. Mmmm mmm, what a view... from Gyro I mean. The nude beach was me, my new friend, and about 7 old guys sitting around drinking beer and suntanning... *shudder*.





Since Nelson I've been biking for the last four days. Between 60 and 100 km a day. I have squatted two nights, and spent 2 nights in Provincial parks. Below is "trash can beach" where I squatted the first night. Basically, I got tired, and saw this beautiful rock beach so I setup my tent. Another person ended up coming to the beach, and we shared some laughs while she fished and I cooked dinner over a make-shift heated-rock-grill over an open fire on the beach, since my stove had stopped working. She gave me a beer, which tasted particularly delicious.



The view from Trash Can Beach.

The colour/white balance in my camera is messed up. My pictures are going to be bleached for the rest of my life, until I get a new camera. Sorry about that. If you really care, you can forward camera money into my account and I'll buy a new camera. Email me for details ;)


Typical scenery along the highway, highway #3. This pic was taken between Cranbrook and Fernie.

No comments: