Tuesday, April 15, 2008

An Up and Down Birthday

As I´ve given the emotional reaction to being 28, I'll now tell you how I brought in this fine year...


Although I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Tepotzlan/Amatlan, it was time to go. I can see why there are so many white-haired gringos there: it would be easy to come for a week, and stay for a lifetime. But there is so much more of Mexico left to see!


So... onward ho!


I went to Taxco, a silver city. They claim that it's the first place in the world that created jewellery from silver, but history as we know, is written by the writers. What a deep insight. Anyway, the city is mainly a touristy town, with a beautiful center (Zocalo) where people still congregate at nights to just hang out and eat sweets. This is a common thing in Mexico, and a really great part of the culture.


Taxco is another Mexican mountain-side town. No wonder there are so many booty-licious people here... I would also have a licious booty if I had to live on the side of a mountain, climbing up and down all the days. Taxco's main tourist draw is still it's silver, with a million little shops selling everything imaginable of silver. The irony is that all the hills of Taxo have been mined to the hilt, and only about 5% of the silver used to make these trinkets comes from the area.

Anywhoo, my friend Ana came to visit me for my birthday. How sweet and kind is that. And an up and down day few days it was!

We rode a cable car up to fancy-pants resort for a spectacular birds-eye view of the city.


(the up)

And we went an hour outside of the town to explore some INCREDIBLE caves...



(the down).

At night, we went to the restaurant/bar in the hotel we were staying in to have a few drinks. I'm pretty sure it was a gay bar. As soon as Ana got up to use the washroom, a guy came at me like a laser-beam, drunkenly slurring spanish in my direction while full-on giving me the hump-me eyes. Not that I know these eyes, I read about them in a book once. He was sorely disappointed that my eyes did not reciprocate. But there was a rockin' band, and all people were just having a good time.

Yes, and then I was 28.

No comments: