Saturday, June 7, 2008

Can you dig it?! -- updated, more pics!


(I can dig it!)


("sure Logan, I'll bury you in your hole")


I never thought I'd say this, but here it is: I'm in Cancun.


(yes, this is Cancun and what GIVES with that bathing suit)


Logan and I ended up catching a ride with an English guy (who incidetally bought his car in Vancouver, and has driven down to Mexico) and a Spanish gal (who incidentally lives in England) from Palenque to Tulum. We skipped a bunch of the touristy stuff, like waterfalls, because the weather was so rainy and they were apparently less than spectacular at this time of year. Plus, sweet ride!

We arrived in the Yucatan after a long car-ride of as many 80's tunes as we could handle (catering to the crowd -- it was a riot being the young kids for a change), to a city called Tulum. I don't have any pics here of Tulum, as they don't have a DVD reader at this place, and my pics are on DVD (although I'm sure that you could have logically put that together without me spelling it out, it makes my post longer, and after all, I do get paid by the word, as you may have guessed based on the incredible length of this completely unnecessary sentence, which turns out to be completely false anyway).


(military checkpoint)

Right, the pics of Tulum (us in the rain). It rained for the 3 days that we were there. However, we did manage to go to the beach a few times, as I think I mentioned in my last post.


(sometimes the wind blows in Tulum apparently)


(not my fault, it's genetic)

We also checked out some ruins at Coba, in the rain.


(I'm at the top)


The highlight of that day was the cult dressed in white that climbed to the top of "the" pyramid (some 42 m high, and the largest in Mesoamerica.. this may not be accurate, but none of you would've checked if I hadn't written this) -- sideways, might I add... apparently to harness the energies of the pyramid *cough* bullshit *cough* -- and did some get-freaky song ritual at the top, in the rain. I felt badly for the one white-dressed fella in the wheelchair at the bottom of the pyramids. He was all alone, and getting rained on. But that was okay because "you are there in spirit, the body is only a vessel" (or some*cough*bullshit*cough*thing).


(!)

From Tulum, we headed to Isla Mujares (Woman Island) off the coast of Cancun. The second we got on the ferry for the island, the sun started shining, and it hasn't stopped since. Booya!


(Isla Mujares)


(delicious fish dinner)

Let's see, again, I don't have the pics to go with the story, but here's a good day: In the morning, the three pranksters (Olatz, Logan, and I) decided to hitch-hike to the far end of the island. Or walk, it was only 8 km, whichever came first. Well a few clicks into the walk, a *very* friendly Mexican man pulled over in his golf cart to give us a ride.



(what a pimp ride - the house behind us, although not a great picture, is pretty incredible. It's the house of an architect, and is shaped like a conch shell.)


Being a gentleman, I took the front seat (the hot seat.. the one that has to talk to the driver). After about 5 minutes (in which time we talked about origin, family, blood types, and how good looking I am) he had put his arm around me and pulled me close. This was a fat man. And he was HAMMERED. Did I mention this was before 11 AM? Right, anyway, no worries Jonno, free ride, the Mexicans are just friendly people. Then the hand works its way onto the leg. My leg. My thy to be exact. My inner thy. Ummm, free ride, free ride, he's drunk, we're cool.



("ummm, you're cute and all, and I dig the bling, but por favor, señor...the hand must go")

After a brief stop for water and a reprieve from sexy-time, we got back in dr. swerves-a-lot golf cart on our ride around bizarro-land. Eventually we were all wigged out and just told him to stop and we got out. Great. Now where were we. Thankfully, we saw red plastic chairs at a restaurant just a few minutes back.


(deceptive red chaired restaurant)

As an aside, plastic chairs are the backpackers gold in Mexico. I may dedicate a whole blog entry to them at some point in the future. They're the number one indicator of cheap eats. Follow this rule and you'll save thousands (individual results may vary).

Alas, these are special Yucatan red chairs. Still American prices. Damn. Guacamole it was (and still $8!). BUT, the owner-chef took a liking to us. I don't blame him really. He deals with fat package tourists who think it's a splendid deal to pay $15 for a meal, day in and day out, and we were a broke-but-welcome change of scenery. So after our guac, he showed us where to go for free snorkeling and gave us some masks and snorkels.


(snorkel fight, par for the course)

What a beautiful thing! Afterwards, we returned to his restaurant and had a few "red-eyes" -- beer with clamato juice, lime, pepper, and probably something else I'm forgetting.

Another aside, Clamato = Clam + Tomato. Who KNEW!?

Then he brought us a load of free seafood with nachos, and free beers, and dolled out tonnes of great information about Belize (where we're heading next). Just a great guy. After the last of the "other" tourists left, he shut down the restaurant and we hopped in his truck for a bit of an island tour.



(the water in the Yucatan is gorgeous)



(sometimes, you just gotta yell at the ocean)


Although all the places were shut, he's a bit of a big deal on the island apparently, and got us in for free to some great places on the island (like a giant lighthouse that overlooks a metal-art park on a peninsula in the ocean).


(view from the lighthouse, look at all that twisted metal... "art")

After the tour, we headed for some eats, and then partied all throught the night. Deeelicious day.
Right, so from Isla, we came to Cancun. Olatz had to fly out of Cancun back to the homeland, and we were done with the island anyway. While looking for a hostel, we were bombarded by a man offering another hostel. Usually this is the kind of thing that gets a "gracias" (which is, no thanks) and a walk-by, but for some reason we decided to chat. It sounded like a pretty good deal, so he called the owner who came and picked us up.

That night, we stayed in the nicest place I've stayed on my trip. We were in Cancun, but not really in Cancun. It was totally laid back, the staff were so great, we were some of the only guests, we had our own beach, and then there was the room. We opened the doors, and there was a California king bed to greet us, with the air con and the TV. Around the corner there was the gigantic bathroom with a shower with a view, beday (which of course I accidently sprayed myself in the face with while trying to figure out how to work it), and walk in closet that could sleep 15.


(bling bling look at the King!)

Oh, not to mention our ocean-view, and breakfast IN BED. All for $13 each. Baaaam!


(the view from bed)

After Olatz left, we decided to move downtown, to be more in the heart of the action. Last night, we found the action. One two skip a few, and then today, we were awakened by some friends from Puerto Escondido (and subsequently San Cristobal), a lovely surprise! And we headed to the beach (we couldn't not see the beach in Cancun now could we...).


(friends from previous places)


Which takes us to where we are now, digging holes in the beach. Today we skipped going to Chitzen Itza (one of the most important and impressive Mayan ruin sites in Mexico along with Palenque), to dig holes in the beach. This was definitely the right decision.


(we attracted a fan club)


(it's a celebration, LOOK at that hole!)


(the cancun sand really sticks to the velcro on my chest)

And this brings me to the end of my first Mexican adventure.... que estraña! It's been quite a trip, that's for sure. Thanks to those who made it wicked.

And now, onward to Belize!

No comments: