Sunday, September 9, 2007

Friends!

I still can't believe the prairie sky...



It was a pretty groovy feeling when, at 5:30 as the day of cycling was winding down, a car filled with two old friends came a honkin' up behind me on the trans Canada in the middle of nowhere Saskatchewan! They were driving across Canada, which I found out about a week before our visit. So we tried to co-ordinate a meeting, but since we were both on loosey-goosey plans it was impossible to pinpoint a meeting time/place -- hence we said "see you on the trans Canada on x day"... and whammo, there they were! We all got a campsite, and introduced the only other camper (a German fella) to a good Canadian night -- beer, laughter, guitar, and roasted marshmallows! They gave us lots of food, as they were almost at their destination... veggie chili "just-add-water", a bunch of trail mix type stuff, and my personal favourite, a new addition to my knowledge base, quinoa!





I'm still traveling with the girl that's headed to Montreal, it's nice to have company. Poor girl probably wasn't counting on the chili though. We've been doing a lot of 'renegade' camping... just putting up our tents wherever we can; people's backyards (with permission of course), open grassy areas, abandoned campgrounds. It's great! Here we are roasting marshmallows via camp-stove on the side of the road at lunch one day...




Now I'm in Regina, staying with an friend from my time at Nortel. Regina's a great city, the little bit I saw of it. I meant to go exploring the city, but got caught up with some people I met who are making their way across Canada in their vegetable-oil fueled car. We played guitar and shared laughter, and I found out about how to vegetablize a car.

But tomorrow; tomorrow I'll be seeing a little more of the people of Regina. Why you ask? Because it's Free Hug Day! I am about to go and make my signs, and then stand in the busiest section of Regina tomorrow morning before heading back out onto the road. Wish me luck, I hope to give a whole sh*tload of hugs, spread some smiles, and give people a good start to Monday!

Ohhhh and notice the new "route map" on the side! It's the best I can do to show where I'm at. The distances aren't EXACT, but they're pretty close to accurate.

Until next time, hug on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that girl looks familiar... is her name tracy or sarah?

-nicki