Thursday, September 13, 2007

The polls are in : Free Hugs Day... success!

Monday morning...




I headed out, fully equipped with a big smile, good humour, and a duct tape Free Hugs sign. Where to go? Well, who needs hugs the most? The business district! So I went an setup shop in downtown Regina, on the windiest day yet, right outside the banks, looking to hug some suits.


Suit-hugging is harder than... well, no, it's about as hard as I'd expect it to be. Although there was the odd person that didn't even flinch (*grumble grumble, free hugs, grumble, hugs won't make the market move, grumble*), most people were fairly receptive. Lots of people weren't into the free hugs, but at least they got a smile and/or a laugh. I even did get to hug a few suits.




Monday afternoon...

More hugs! Celeste came and found me in the afternoon. She was late because she'd been blown off her bike at an intersection. I'm telling you, it was *windy*.




A few girls though it was just so cool, they decided to hang out and give some hugs for a couple hours.



There was even another Free Hugger!



Observations:

  • I hugged far more women than men. A lot of men told me, "maybe if I were a blonde." Love has nothing to do with sex. Just ask anybody who's been married long enough.
  • The best hug I got was from a man.
  • I was offered money for a hug. The sign quite clearly stated they were free. I just smiled and hugged.
  • Even though most of the people that were huggers were doing it just for the fun of it, there were definitely a few people that really needed a hug. Hugging them was the most rewarding.
Monday night...

I biked 100 km with Celeste, with an awesome tailwind. These were our last kilometers together. I decided that I needed to get back on my own schedule, and try to push to Winnipeg for Friday. Turns out I'm probably not going to make it, but I gave it a good shot...

Free Hug Day was a blast, and a success! I hope you all got some hugs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like fun! but, bro, your sign says "FREE HUGS" with the subheading "Day 1"... does this mean there's more to come?

Jonathan said...

Well... I kept my FREE HUGS sign for a few days, thinking I might give out more. Then, in a fit of madness, I threw it out. I don't know what I was thinking, must've been brain freeze. However, I have more duct tape.

Day 1? Hmmm, I don't know about that. It said "Sept 10th -- International!" on the top... then "FREE HUGS" then "Day!" on the bottom.

:)

Katherine said...

I want a free hug! Is it only that one day? Oh well, guess I'll have to wait til next year!

Katherine said...

I want a free hug...was it only that one day? Oh well, I suppose I'll have to wait until next year :-(